This is some of my Jacob fleece, which I have hand carder (I don’t think I’m very good at it…), then hand spun and plyed. I’m actually very impressed with myself, being as I only got the tools yesterday! I think when I spun the singles I over twisted? Comments?
This is some of Corriedale Silver which I have also Spun and Plyed. It has a smoother finish than the Jacob, but I think this is down to the quality of my carding not the wool. Again it seems over twisted, but I wonder if washing it and setting the twist will improve this?
I washed some of the fleece today, as my new hand carders and spindle arrived in the post. It hasn’t come very clean, so I might try teasing the fibres more first, and maybe different detergent, as this had 3 washes and rinses in very hot water.
I also thought I’d try some spinning, which is going surprisingly well I think. The first batch is Corriedale Silver in Dark Purple.
This is the second batch in White, work in progress.
I will have to try and card some of the Jacob, then I can try and spin it… :-s
I’ve been a really good girly, I finished the previously mentioned hat, booties (and matching mittens!). (Ravelry Link)
And the Candy Jumper I started quite some time ago…
I’m on abit of a project finishing mission, as I seem to have so many on the go, many of which haven’t had a single stitch knitted in months, so much so I’ve forgotten what I was doing, that’s what happens when you don’t write down your patterns. Let that be a warning to you all…
Today I collected some Jacob Fleece from Tamsyn G.
It looks lovely, and Tamsyn has kindly picked out most of the VM which I am very thankful for.
Jacob’s are white with well defined black (dark patches), they produce a medium quality fleece, with micron count 30-33 and staple length 3″-7″, average fleece weight 2-3Kgs.
The fleeces I have are a mixture of off white, light brown, dark brown and black wool. Hopefully next weekend I will get time to wash a selection and have ago at hand carding it. (My new hand carders are expected to arrive this week.) I think I will try washing some with and without the lanolin removed to see how it spins up.
I’m determined to try and use this wool undyed and take advantage of the natural colours.
Watch this space…
I’m knitting booties and hat in pale green for Molly’s baby (due in 4months). The scan told her its a boy, but I thought I’d do them in pale green just in case its a girl. I feel this colour is quite unisex.
I have finished the booties, just need to locate some ribbon.
I’ve just started the hat, shouldn’t take long.
I know I shouldn’t keep putting other projects down (the felted bag for starters…), but I really wanted to do something for her, in case I get caught up with other things.