Yet again I am guilty of not updating,…. To busy spinning and knitting!
As a quick fill in, I got my Ladybug and have been spinning merily, hand blended Jacob and Agelina Batts for socks, Jacob and Angelina Batts in pink and lilac for a cardigan for Em, Laceweight (well almost) superwash BFL for a shawl, English wool Blend from Wildcraft for a bag in the style of Lizard ridge, my first long draw, thick and thin slub yarn for a necklace, …
Excitingly I got an Ashford drumcarder as a Valentine, Birthday, Xmas present (That’s xmas ’09!), I’m really pleased with it, I must wash some more fleece for blending.
But what I really wanted to post about is a pattern I’m planning on spinning for, its called Sheep Yoke Cardigan. I will have to alter it for Em, as its sized for 9-12months, and recalculate the yardage. I’m going to spin it from Superwash Merino Tops, being machine washable and soft is important for toddlers.
So plan of action;
1. Spin some sample singles and try 2ply and 3 ply to see what I think will be best.
2. Work gauge swatch.
3. Work out meters/gram of the sample I want to use.
4. Rework the pattern in the size I need to make, and work out the yardage I need to spin.
5. Dye up the fibres.
6. Spin 1/2 (or 1/3) of each colour of fibre into singles, then spin the rest. (To help with consistency.)
8. Finish and wind into balls.
9. Start Knitting!
10. Happy sheepy Tot. 🙂